As any new mother will tell you – dry shampoo swiftly becomes your number one “beauty must-have” after you have children!
But – am I the only one who finds the chemical smell of the aerosol options seriously off putting? .
I’d never liked the smell of dry shampoo and found the scented perfume versions even worse. But, when I was pregnant I developed an all out aversion to the scent (actually I developed an aversion to A LOT of things – but that’s another story 😊) That pushed me to find a natural, scent free alternative: organic arrowroot powder. So simple!
It is so easy to make this eco swap and up your natural beauty game at the same time!
I then washed and recycled a glass Schwartz spice bottle with an eight-hole sprinkle lid – which had some ancient fenugreek powder lingering in the bottom – and filled it half up with arrowroot powder to allow for good movement.
When your hair needs a pick me up…
- Lightly sprinkle (go gently: use it sparingly!) at the roots and wherever you’d spray dry shampoo.
- Give your scalp a good massage / brush your hair until you can no longer see the white powder.
- You’re good to go!
Some tips for better results…
- Use it before you have a shower and it will absorb extra moisture.
- I have light hair, but a brunette friend told me that it works well to mix in some cocoa powder if you have darker hair. Smells great too!
- On hot muggy days, it is also good to use it after you’ve washed your hair to keep your hairstyle fresher for longer.
- If you are wearing dark colours that day, sprinkle before you get dressed… and irrespective check your clothes, face and colour bone for random traces of arrowroot!
- Oh and one final thing… make sure you give the spice bottle a very thorough wash first: believe me – you do not want to go round smelling like old fenugreek 😏 .
So – there you go… a super simple and effective swap. Eco, chemical free and frugal: #winwinwin I’ve been using this for nearly five years now and would never go back!